Skip to main content

Songs That Should Never Be Played at a Funeral

Funerals are sacred moments. They’re times for reflection, respect, and — above all — dignity.

Yet, despite our best efforts, sometimes a poor musical choice can derail the whole atmosphere, turning a solemn farewell into an awkward cringe-fest. If you’re planning a service (or just trying to leave strong hints for your own), here’s a list of songs that should absolutely never grace the speakers at a funeral.

1. “Another One Bites the Dust” – Queen

Look, we love Freddie Mercury as much as anyone, but even the most hardcore fans would agree this is not the time for gallows humor. Save this classic for your workout playlist, not the memorial service.

2. “Highway to Hell” – AC/DC

Unless you’re aiming for the funeral equivalent of a Vegas roast (and even then — please don’t), this is a no-go. Great riff, horrible timing.

3. “Ding Dong! The Witch Is Dead” – Judy Garland (from The Wizard of Oz)

Even if Granny was a bit of a tyrant, airing grievances through musical theater is not the move. Let sleeping witches lie.

4. “Stayin’ Alive” – Bee Gees

It’s a disco banger. But the lyrics hit a little too ironic when everyone’s gathered to acknowledge the exact opposite situation.

5. “I Will Survive” – Gloria Gaynor

It’s a power anthem of resilience — not a eulogy.

Unless you’re resurrecting, it sends extremely confusing messages to the mourners.

6. “Happy” – Pharrell Williams

Sure, it’s upbeat. Too upbeat, in fact!  The last thing anyone needs when they’re trying to hold it together is a song that feels like it should come with party hats and balloon animals, right?

7. “Hit the Road Jack” – Ray Charles

It’s punchy, it’s iconic — and it’s probably the fastest way to ensure you’re never invited to plan another family event again, too.

8. “Baby Got Back” – Sir Mix-A-Lot

This shouldn’t even have to be said, but… funerals are not the moment to celebrate anyone’s rear end, however glorious it may have been.

9. “If I Die Young” – The Band Perry

This song sounds funeral-appropriate… until you realize it’s mostly about romanticizing an untimely death. It’s haunting in the wrong way — trust me, just skip it.

10. “Celebration” – Kool & The Gang

While many families may want to celebrate a life well-lived, blasting “Celebrate good times, come on!” over sobbing relatives feels about as tactful as hitting a piñata at a wake.

A Few Less Funny, Yet Actually Good Alternatives

If you’re struggling to pick funeral music that sets the right tone, here’s a quick guide:

  • Pick songs that were personally meaningful to the deceased.
  • Choose something reflective but hopeful, not depressing or absurd.
  • Consider classic instrumentals or soft vocals without heavy irony.

Now, a few solid, universally-safe bets:

  • “Amazing Grace”
  • “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” (especially the Israel Kamakawiwoʻole version)
  • “Tears in Heaven” by Eric Clapton
  • “Hallelujah” by Leonard Cohen (or a gentle cover version)

And a “Final Word” - pun intended:

Music at a funeral can move people to tears, stir memories, and bring comfort.

Or, it can make Uncle Bob shoot coffee out of his nose trying not to laugh.

Choose wisely. :-)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lemonade Buffet That Changed My Life: I came for the fireworks, but I stayed for the tube ice and cherry syrup

This 4th of July, amid the usual chaos of overcooked hot dogs, screaming children, and one guy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette, something beautiful happened. Something simple. Something… citrusy. A Lemonade Buffet! Yes, a buffet. Of lemonade. And it wasn’t one of those Pinterest-y “lemonade bar” setups where everything is served in mason jars wrapped in twine while an unpaid intern hand-letters chalkboard signs in cursive. No. This was way better. This was practical. This was brilliant. This was America, in beverage form. The Setup: Lemonade, But Make It A "Custom" At first glance, it was just a folding table. Plastic, sturdy, unremarkable. But upon closer inspection? A beverage oasis: Three massive coolers : Classic lemonade, pink lemonade, and sparkling lemonade that fizzed just enough to remind you that freedom sparkles. A tray of ice options : Ice options , you guys! Regular cubes. Crushed ice. Nugget ice. TUBE ICE. (The Beyoncé of frozen water. ...

“If You Hold a Firecracker Tight Enough, It Won’t Hurt” — And Other Last Words from Local Geniuses

There are certain things you hear in life that make you pause — not because they’re profound, but because they vibrate at a frequency only detectable by bad decisions. Like when a guy named Merle , who smells faintly of lighter fluid and Busch Light, looks you dead in the eye and says: “If you hold a firecracker tight enough between your fingers, it won’t hurt.” And in that moment, you realize two things: Merle is very confident. Merle is not using all ten fingers. Let’s Break This Down 🔥 The Theory: Supposedly, if you hold the firecracker tight, the explosion has “nowhere to go,” so it doesn’t do damage. 🧠 The Reality: The explosion absolutely has somewhere to go — into your fingers, your medical bills, and your lifelong nickname, “Stumpy.” This is the same science used by people who once said, “I bet I can jump that creek,” and are now part-metal thanks to reconstructive surgery. Classic Red Flags of Bad Summer Advice: Begins with: “Trust me, I’ve done this ...

Minimalism sounded great until my cats claimed the donation box as a second home

So, I live in a super-small space with three cats, one mismatched coffee table set, and a growing suspicion that I am no longer in charge here.  Like any adult whose Pinterest boards are probably better organized than my actual life, I decided to "declutter." I imagined a sleek, tranquil space with clean lines, neutral tones, and no shame. I now sit atop a pile of half-sorted Goodwill bags, sipping coffee from a novelty mug that says “I Paused My Show for This.” Let’s discuss: Step 1: Mentally Prepare to Let Go of the Clutter — and Your Dignity Decluttering, in theory, is supposed to bring peace. In practice? It's a passive-aggressive negotiation with your past self. “Do I need six half-burned candles?” “What if I suddenly become the kind of person who hosts dinner parties and needs twelve fine water glasses?” “This broken garlic press has been with me since college. That means something, right?” At one point, I asked my cat BoBean if she thought I should ...