Skip to main content

Conversations with my dog: An exclusive Interview with the fluffy therapist

My dog may be dramatic, slightly unhinged, and have the judgmental stare of a Victorian ghost, but he’s also my best friend. And sure, he can’t actually talk—but if he could, I’m pretty sure this is exactly how it would go:  (BTW, I gave him a treat as a bribe just in case.)

Me: Thank you for sitting down with me today. I know your schedule is jam-packed with barking at nothing and dramatic sighing.

My Dog: [Licks own butt.] You’re welcome. I had to cancel a very important nap for this, so let’s make it quick.

Me: Let’s get right to it. Why do you bark at the mailman? Every. Single. Day.

My Dog: Because he dares to show up uninvited, and then—get this—he leaves. Suspicious behavior. I’m protecting the nation. You’re welcome.

Me: Okay, but he’s literally here every day. You know him.

My Dog: Exactly. It’s always the ones you think you know.

Me: Fair. Moving on. Why do you insist on sitting directly on me even though you’re 60 pounds of pure dog?

My Dog: You are my chosen throne. You should be honored. Also, it’s warm.

Me: I’m flattered. Uncomfortable, but flattered. Let’s talk about your food obsession. Why do you act like you’ve never eaten before… even when you just did?

My Dog: Look, every meal could be my last. I live life on the edge. Also, your snacks smell way better than my kibble.

Me: That’s because they are. You’ve stolen pizza crusts, chewed on an entire sock, and once licked my lip gloss. Any regrets?

My Dog: Zero. I would do it again. And I will.

Me: Bold of you. Alright, final question. What do you think of me as your owner?

My Dog: You are the provider of snacks, the giver of belly rubs, and the supreme thrower of tennis balls. I love you more than squirrels hate peace. But also… you talk too much.

Me: [Sniffs dramatically.] I love you too, you sassy loaf of fur.

My Dog: Now give me a treat or I’m most def pooping in your shoe.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lemonade Buffet That Changed My Life: I came for the fireworks, but I stayed for the tube ice and cherry syrup

This 4th of July, amid the usual chaos of overcooked hot dogs, screaming children, and one guy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette, something beautiful happened. Something simple. Something… citrusy. A Lemonade Buffet! Yes, a buffet. Of lemonade. And it wasn’t one of those Pinterest-y “lemonade bar” setups where everything is served in mason jars wrapped in twine while an unpaid intern hand-letters chalkboard signs in cursive. No. This was way better. This was practical. This was brilliant. This was America, in beverage form. The Setup: Lemonade, But Make It A "Custom" At first glance, it was just a folding table. Plastic, sturdy, unremarkable. But upon closer inspection? A beverage oasis: Three massive coolers : Classic lemonade, pink lemonade, and sparkling lemonade that fizzed just enough to remind you that freedom sparkles. A tray of ice options : Ice options , you guys! Regular cubes. Crushed ice. Nugget ice. TUBE ICE. (The Beyoncé of frozen water. ...

“If You Hold a Firecracker Tight Enough, It Won’t Hurt” — And Other Last Words from Local Geniuses

There are certain things you hear in life that make you pause — not because they’re profound, but because they vibrate at a frequency only detectable by bad decisions. Like when a guy named Merle , who smells faintly of lighter fluid and Busch Light, looks you dead in the eye and says: “If you hold a firecracker tight enough between your fingers, it won’t hurt.” And in that moment, you realize two things: Merle is very confident. Merle is not using all ten fingers. Let’s Break This Down 🔥 The Theory: Supposedly, if you hold the firecracker tight, the explosion has “nowhere to go,” so it doesn’t do damage. 🧠 The Reality: The explosion absolutely has somewhere to go — into your fingers, your medical bills, and your lifelong nickname, “Stumpy.” This is the same science used by people who once said, “I bet I can jump that creek,” and are now part-metal thanks to reconstructive surgery. Classic Red Flags of Bad Summer Advice: Begins with: “Trust me, I’ve done this ...

Minimalism sounded great until my cats claimed the donation box as a second home

So, I live in a super-small space with three cats, one mismatched coffee table set, and a growing suspicion that I am no longer in charge here.  Like any adult whose Pinterest boards are probably better organized than my actual life, I decided to "declutter." I imagined a sleek, tranquil space with clean lines, neutral tones, and no shame. I now sit atop a pile of half-sorted Goodwill bags, sipping coffee from a novelty mug that says “I Paused My Show for This.” Let’s discuss: Step 1: Mentally Prepare to Let Go of the Clutter — and Your Dignity Decluttering, in theory, is supposed to bring peace. In practice? It's a passive-aggressive negotiation with your past self. “Do I need six half-burned candles?” “What if I suddenly become the kind of person who hosts dinner parties and needs twelve fine water glasses?” “This broken garlic press has been with me since college. That means something, right?” At one point, I asked my cat BoBean if she thought I should ...