Skip to main content

I Accidentally Summoned the Saucepocalypse

So, listen. I’m not saying I’m bad at homesteading, but if the zombie apocalypse hits and someone hands me a tomato and says, “Preserve this for winter,” I’m handing it back and asking for a pre-sealed can of SpaghettiOs.  

Late last summer in a tragic display of optimism, Pinterest confidence, and a YouTube binge, I decided to can tomatoes for the first time. You know, like our great-grandmothers used to do. With love. And patience. And probably a lot less swearing too.

The dream was warm shelves of mason jars glowing ruby red with fresh tomatoey goodness, waiting to become stews, soups, and sauces.  The reality was that my small kitchen looked like someone had been murdered by marinara.

Various friends contributed 20 pounds of tomatoes to the cause.  I wanted " a lot" because
I assumed they’d shrink like laundry in a dryer. (Spoiler: they don’t. They multiply. Kind like gremlins. Angry, juicy gremlins.)

Anywho...

Blanching tomatoes means dropping them into boiling water until the skins split, then shocking them in ice water so you can peel them easily.

In theory.

In practice, it means standing over a vat of molten lava, praying you don’t get steam-burned into next week, and chasing slippery tomatoes around a bowl like you’re in some kind of Food Network-themed Olympic event.

In any event, I peeled maybe seven before I started questioning every life choice I’d made to get to this point.

So, they say to sterilize your jars in hot water. Easy, right?

Unless you’re me, and somehow manage to fill your largest pot with so much water that when it boils, it becomes an erupting volcano of liquid fury, searing the very essence of your eyebrows off.

RIP to my fingerprints. I didn’t need those anyway...

At this point, I was delirious, sticky, and talking to the tomatoes like they were a class of misbehaving kindergartners: “You sit down in that jar right now, little mister.”

My counter was covered in seeds, my floor looked like a crime scene, and I had used every kitchen towel I owned -- and a few mismatched socks to boot. One jar slipped and rolled off the counter like it, too, was done with my nonsense. It survived, somehow, unlike my dignity.

Ah, now the water bath! A final boiling of the filled jars to ensure preservation.  Except I used a pot that was just barely big enough. So of course, water sloshed everywhere. It hissed. It spit. One jar tipped over and started doing the cha-cha on the bottom of the pot.  

I stood there with tongs, a dish towel, and the hollow stare of a person who had seen things.

Out of 10 jars, eight sealed properly, which means technically I’m a success -- that, and I just pronounced "properly" just like that Dyson vacuum guy ("I like things that work prop-er-leah" The other two are going straight into tonight’s pasta because -- well -- I’m not ready to talk about it.

Would I do it again?

Well, ask me in a year, when I’ve finally scraped the last bit of tomato paste off my backsplash.

But for now, I’ll be over here in my tomato-stained cooking apron, smelling faintly of crushed dreams,  onion, garlic, and a hint of basil, proudly serving sauce I made myself—with only a 40% chance of botulism.

If I invite you over for supper, bon appétit!


Moral of the story? Canning tomatoes is a beautiful tradition best done by someone else. Or at least with wine. Yeah, definitely wine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lemonade Buffet That Changed My Life: I came for the fireworks, but I stayed for the tube ice and cherry syrup

This 4th of July, amid the usual chaos of overcooked hot dogs, screaming children, and one guy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette, something beautiful happened. Something simple. Something… citrusy. A Lemonade Buffet! Yes, a buffet. Of lemonade. And it wasn’t one of those Pinterest-y “lemonade bar” setups where everything is served in mason jars wrapped in twine while an unpaid intern hand-letters chalkboard signs in cursive. No. This was way better. This was practical. This was brilliant. This was America, in beverage form. The Setup: Lemonade, But Make It A "Custom" At first glance, it was just a folding table. Plastic, sturdy, unremarkable. But upon closer inspection? A beverage oasis: Three massive coolers : Classic lemonade, pink lemonade, and sparkling lemonade that fizzed just enough to remind you that freedom sparkles. A tray of ice options : Ice options , you guys! Regular cubes. Crushed ice. Nugget ice. TUBE ICE. (The Beyoncé of frozen water. ...

“If You Hold a Firecracker Tight Enough, It Won’t Hurt” — And Other Last Words from Local Geniuses

There are certain things you hear in life that make you pause — not because they’re profound, but because they vibrate at a frequency only detectable by bad decisions. Like when a guy named Merle , who smells faintly of lighter fluid and Busch Light, looks you dead in the eye and says: “If you hold a firecracker tight enough between your fingers, it won’t hurt.” And in that moment, you realize two things: Merle is very confident. Merle is not using all ten fingers. Let’s Break This Down 🔥 The Theory: Supposedly, if you hold the firecracker tight, the explosion has “nowhere to go,” so it doesn’t do damage. 🧠 The Reality: The explosion absolutely has somewhere to go — into your fingers, your medical bills, and your lifelong nickname, “Stumpy.” This is the same science used by people who once said, “I bet I can jump that creek,” and are now part-metal thanks to reconstructive surgery. Classic Red Flags of Bad Summer Advice: Begins with: “Trust me, I’ve done this ...

Minimalism sounded great until my cats claimed the donation box as a second home

So, I live in a super-small space with three cats, one mismatched coffee table set, and a growing suspicion that I am no longer in charge here.  Like any adult whose Pinterest boards are probably better organized than my actual life, I decided to "declutter." I imagined a sleek, tranquil space with clean lines, neutral tones, and no shame. I now sit atop a pile of half-sorted Goodwill bags, sipping coffee from a novelty mug that says “I Paused My Show for This.” Let’s discuss: Step 1: Mentally Prepare to Let Go of the Clutter — and Your Dignity Decluttering, in theory, is supposed to bring peace. In practice? It's a passive-aggressive negotiation with your past self. “Do I need six half-burned candles?” “What if I suddenly become the kind of person who hosts dinner parties and needs twelve fine water glasses?” “This broken garlic press has been with me since college. That means something, right?” At one point, I asked my cat BoBean if she thought I should ...