Skip to main content

What a dream!

So… my dreams have been absolutely cray-cray recently. I mean, here’s how the whole bizarre, slug-filled dreamfest went down last night:

I was out wandering through a lush green and quite serene forest with the sun shining through the branches.  Birds were singing, and everything felt peaceful—until I noticed a turtle, minding its own business, slowly making its way down the path. “Wow, nature is so calming,” I thought.

But then, out of nowhere, two slugs slowly slithered onto the scene. They weren’t your ordinary slimy slugs, though. These slugs had attitude. One wore a tiny slug-sized leather jacket, and the other had a bandana tied around its otherwise non-existent neck. They oozed over to the turtle, blocking its path like they owned the forest.

Stopping in my tracks, half-confused and half-fascinated, suddenly I’m asking myself what was about to go down here.

“Yo,” said the slug in the leather jacket, his voice surprisingly deep for something so small and squishy. “You think you can just stroll through our turf, slowpoke?”

The turtle blinked, totally unbothered. “Uh, yeah. It’s a free forest?”

The slug with the bandana slid closer, puffing out his imaginary chest. “Not without payin’ the toll, it ain’t.”

“Toll?” the turtle said, raising a skeptical eyebrow.

“Yeah,” the leather-jacket slug chimed in. “You gotta fork over… whatever you got. Lettuce, berries, maybe some shiny pebbles. Don’t make us get rough with yous.”

At this point, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing. Two slugs trying to mug a turtle? Ridiculous. But what really got me was the turtle’s reaction.

“Oh, please,” the turtle said, rolling its eyes. “You’re slugs. What are you gonna do? Slime me to death?”

The slugs exchanged a look, clearly offended. “Hey, we might be slow, but so are you!” Bandana slug shouted.

Leather-jacket slug nodded. “Yeah, it’s not like you’re running away or anything.”

The turtle shrugged. “Touché!.”

I thought the slugs might back off after being roasted like that, but instead, they went full-on mobster. Bandana slug whipped out what appeared to be a tiny toothpick (where he got it, who knows?) and waved it menacingly.

“Last chance, buddy,” he said. “Hand over the goods, or we’ll… we’ll slime you up real bad!”

The turtle sighed, clearly over this nonsense, and started pulling its head back into its shell. “You know what? I’m done. Go mug someone else!”

“Hey, hey!” Leather-jacket slug yelled, climbing onto the turtle’s shell. “You can’t just walk away from us!”

Except, of course, the turtle could. And did. Very, very slowly, that is.

The slugs tried to keep up, but they were slugs. They slid like two inches before giving up, panting dramatically.

“Man, I told you we should’ve mugged the rabbit,” Bandana slug muttered.

And just like that, I suddenly woke up, laughing at the absurdity of it all. 

Moral of the story? I guess, even in your dreams, turtles don’t take crap from anyone?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lemonade Buffet That Changed My Life: I came for the fireworks, but I stayed for the tube ice and cherry syrup

This 4th of July, amid the usual chaos of overcooked hot dogs, screaming children, and one guy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette, something beautiful happened. Something simple. Something… citrusy. A Lemonade Buffet! Yes, a buffet. Of lemonade. And it wasn’t one of those Pinterest-y “lemonade bar” setups where everything is served in mason jars wrapped in twine while an unpaid intern hand-letters chalkboard signs in cursive. No. This was way better. This was practical. This was brilliant. This was America, in beverage form. The Setup: Lemonade, But Make It A "Custom" At first glance, it was just a folding table. Plastic, sturdy, unremarkable. But upon closer inspection? A beverage oasis: Three massive coolers : Classic lemonade, pink lemonade, and sparkling lemonade that fizzed just enough to remind you that freedom sparkles. A tray of ice options : Ice options , you guys! Regular cubes. Crushed ice. Nugget ice. TUBE ICE. (The Beyoncé of frozen water. ...

“If You Hold a Firecracker Tight Enough, It Won’t Hurt” — And Other Last Words from Local Geniuses

There are certain things you hear in life that make you pause — not because they’re profound, but because they vibrate at a frequency only detectable by bad decisions. Like when a guy named Merle , who smells faintly of lighter fluid and Busch Light, looks you dead in the eye and says: “If you hold a firecracker tight enough between your fingers, it won’t hurt.” And in that moment, you realize two things: Merle is very confident. Merle is not using all ten fingers. Let’s Break This Down 🔥 The Theory: Supposedly, if you hold the firecracker tight, the explosion has “nowhere to go,” so it doesn’t do damage. 🧠 The Reality: The explosion absolutely has somewhere to go — into your fingers, your medical bills, and your lifelong nickname, “Stumpy.” This is the same science used by people who once said, “I bet I can jump that creek,” and are now part-metal thanks to reconstructive surgery. Classic Red Flags of Bad Summer Advice: Begins with: “Trust me, I’ve done this ...

Minimalism sounded great until my cats claimed the donation box as a second home

So, I live in a super-small space with three cats, one mismatched coffee table set, and a growing suspicion that I am no longer in charge here.  Like any adult whose Pinterest boards are probably better organized than my actual life, I decided to "declutter." I imagined a sleek, tranquil space with clean lines, neutral tones, and no shame. I now sit atop a pile of half-sorted Goodwill bags, sipping coffee from a novelty mug that says “I Paused My Show for This.” Let’s discuss: Step 1: Mentally Prepare to Let Go of the Clutter — and Your Dignity Decluttering, in theory, is supposed to bring peace. In practice? It's a passive-aggressive negotiation with your past self. “Do I need six half-burned candles?” “What if I suddenly become the kind of person who hosts dinner parties and needs twelve fine water glasses?” “This broken garlic press has been with me since college. That means something, right?” At one point, I asked my cat BoBean if she thought I should ...