Skip to main content

They die for this?!

Seriously!  How do some people survive?!  Ever just wonder that?  Let me explain:

A colleague —  let’s call her Sarah—was always a happy-go-lucky animal lover. Not wrong, just kinda — goofy.  She had a heart of gold, but let’s just say her understanding of how the world worked was… unique. One day, during a casual lunch, the conversation somehow turned to hamburgers.

Sarah, mid-bite of her cheeseburger, looked up and said, “You know, I’ve always loved cows. They’re so peaceful. I’m just glad they use cows that die naturally for this stuff.”

The entire lunch room froze.

“Wait, what?!” someone asked.

“Yeah,” Sarah said, completely serious. “I mean, they wouldn’t kill cows for food, right? That would be mean and cruel. They probably just use the ones that, you know, pass away on their own. Like, of old age or something.”

The silence was deafening. Then someone—probably trying not to choke on laughter—explained, “Uh, Sarah… no. That’s not how it works. They… um… slaughter the cows.”

Sarah dropped her burger like it had personally betrayed her. “WHAT?!” she screeched, her voice echoing across the restaurant.

“You thought cows just died naturally, and someone was like, ‘Well, guess we’ll turn this one into tasty little burgers now?’”

“Well, yeah!” she said. “Why wouldn’t they? Cows are, like, really chill animals. I just figured they lived full, happy lives and then, you know, peacefully… fell over in a meadow or something. And then we used them for meat!”

At this point, half the table was in tears from laughing, while Sarah looked like someone had told her Santa wasn’t actually real.

“You’ve been eating beef your whole life,” someone said, trying to be gentle. “How did you not know this?”

“I don’t know!” Sarah cried. “I guess I just assumed! Who goes around murdering innocent cows?! That’s horrible! I feel like a meat-eating monster!”

From that day forward, Sarah swore off beef entirely. She even got a little preachy about it. “You know they kill cows, right?” she’d say dramatically from time-to-time, as if this was brand-new and breaking information for everyone else!

One time, someone teased her by saying, “Hey, Sarah, this steak died of old age, so it’s fine.  Want some?

She glared and shot back, “Very funny. I know better now.” Then, after a pause, she added, “But seriously, what do they do with cows that do die naturally?”

And that’s how Sarah became the first person to accidentally advocate for the “retirement home for cows” movement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lemonade Buffet That Changed My Life: I came for the fireworks, but I stayed for the tube ice and cherry syrup

This 4th of July, amid the usual chaos of overcooked hot dogs, screaming children, and one guy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette, something beautiful happened. Something simple. Something… citrusy. A Lemonade Buffet! Yes, a buffet. Of lemonade. And it wasn’t one of those Pinterest-y “lemonade bar” setups where everything is served in mason jars wrapped in twine while an unpaid intern hand-letters chalkboard signs in cursive. No. This was way better. This was practical. This was brilliant. This was America, in beverage form. The Setup: Lemonade, But Make It A "Custom" At first glance, it was just a folding table. Plastic, sturdy, unremarkable. But upon closer inspection? A beverage oasis: Three massive coolers : Classic lemonade, pink lemonade, and sparkling lemonade that fizzed just enough to remind you that freedom sparkles. A tray of ice options : Ice options , you guys! Regular cubes. Crushed ice. Nugget ice. TUBE ICE. (The Beyoncé of frozen water. ...

“If You Hold a Firecracker Tight Enough, It Won’t Hurt” — And Other Last Words from Local Geniuses

There are certain things you hear in life that make you pause — not because they’re profound, but because they vibrate at a frequency only detectable by bad decisions. Like when a guy named Merle , who smells faintly of lighter fluid and Busch Light, looks you dead in the eye and says: “If you hold a firecracker tight enough between your fingers, it won’t hurt.” And in that moment, you realize two things: Merle is very confident. Merle is not using all ten fingers. Let’s Break This Down 🔥 The Theory: Supposedly, if you hold the firecracker tight, the explosion has “nowhere to go,” so it doesn’t do damage. 🧠 The Reality: The explosion absolutely has somewhere to go — into your fingers, your medical bills, and your lifelong nickname, “Stumpy.” This is the same science used by people who once said, “I bet I can jump that creek,” and are now part-metal thanks to reconstructive surgery. Classic Red Flags of Bad Summer Advice: Begins with: “Trust me, I’ve done this ...

Minimalism sounded great until my cats claimed the donation box as a second home

So, I live in a super-small space with three cats, one mismatched coffee table set, and a growing suspicion that I am no longer in charge here.  Like any adult whose Pinterest boards are probably better organized than my actual life, I decided to "declutter." I imagined a sleek, tranquil space with clean lines, neutral tones, and no shame. I now sit atop a pile of half-sorted Goodwill bags, sipping coffee from a novelty mug that says “I Paused My Show for This.” Let’s discuss: Step 1: Mentally Prepare to Let Go of the Clutter — and Your Dignity Decluttering, in theory, is supposed to bring peace. In practice? It's a passive-aggressive negotiation with your past self. “Do I need six half-burned candles?” “What if I suddenly become the kind of person who hosts dinner parties and needs twelve fine water glasses?” “This broken garlic press has been with me since college. That means something, right?” At one point, I asked my cat BoBean if she thought I should ...