Skip to main content

Just say no to moo-moos

Did you ever expect to be bombarded with advertisements for shapeless moo-moos and orthopedic sandals? Yet here I am, staring at advertisement suggestions that scream, “Hey, southern Indiana!  It’s all elastic waistbands and floral polyester from here on out.”

Excuse me, publications of the world, but have you even met the women here?  Do you think they just woke up this morning with a desperate desire to give up on fashion, taste, and life itself just because of a certain “milestone” birthday, so many kids, a certain year of marriage? Do you think the second a woman turns 29+, her wardrobe automatically requires enough fabric to double as a tent?

The messaging is insulting, outdated, and reeks of a world that can’t fathom women embracing this phase of their lives with style and vitality. If I see one more ad for a pastel house dress or ankle-high compression socks disguised as “athleisure,” I might scream.

Here’s a newsflash for marketers and fashion “gurus” stuck in their own reality:  middle-aged, southern Indiana women do not need a wardrobe that doubles as a camping accessory just because someone decided that’s what’s “appropriate” for a woman of that specific demographic?

And let’s talk about what’s really happening here. The root of this insult isn’t just moo-moos, though they are certainly a symptom of the problem, of course.   It’s the cultural obsession with youth and the idea that women stop being seen as vibrant, fashionable, and desirable past a certain age. Apparently, at, say, 40 let’s call it, women are no longer allowed to shop for fashion or edgy — now they’re only supposed to care about their children and hiding their bodies?

Women in southern Indiana deserve better. They are accomplished, confident, and stylish — not begging for the retirement home aesthetic and yearning for frump or shapeless sacks of sadness disguised as “fashion.”

So, to the publications that keep targeting southern Indiana women with moo-moos: Take a good, hard look at your outdated assumptions. Stop treating women like they’ve aged-out of caring about how they look. Instead, celebrate this stage of life with style, boldness, and the understanding that we aren’t going quietly into our middle age and beyond.

The same publications in Indiananpolis, Louisville, etc. do not contain the same ads.  Go full frontal, and admit it.

And for the record, no, I don’t know anyone buying your moo-moo. They’re buying another leather jacket — and totally rocking it — unapologetically.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lemonade Buffet That Changed My Life: I came for the fireworks, but I stayed for the tube ice and cherry syrup

This 4th of July, amid the usual chaos of overcooked hot dogs, screaming children, and one guy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette, something beautiful happened. Something simple. Something… citrusy. A Lemonade Buffet! Yes, a buffet. Of lemonade. And it wasn’t one of those Pinterest-y “lemonade bar” setups where everything is served in mason jars wrapped in twine while an unpaid intern hand-letters chalkboard signs in cursive. No. This was way better. This was practical. This was brilliant. This was America, in beverage form. The Setup: Lemonade, But Make It A "Custom" At first glance, it was just a folding table. Plastic, sturdy, unremarkable. But upon closer inspection? A beverage oasis: Three massive coolers : Classic lemonade, pink lemonade, and sparkling lemonade that fizzed just enough to remind you that freedom sparkles. A tray of ice options : Ice options , you guys! Regular cubes. Crushed ice. Nugget ice. TUBE ICE. (The Beyoncé of frozen water. ...

“If You Hold a Firecracker Tight Enough, It Won’t Hurt” — And Other Last Words from Local Geniuses

There are certain things you hear in life that make you pause — not because they’re profound, but because they vibrate at a frequency only detectable by bad decisions. Like when a guy named Merle , who smells faintly of lighter fluid and Busch Light, looks you dead in the eye and says: “If you hold a firecracker tight enough between your fingers, it won’t hurt.” And in that moment, you realize two things: Merle is very confident. Merle is not using all ten fingers. Let’s Break This Down 🔥 The Theory: Supposedly, if you hold the firecracker tight, the explosion has “nowhere to go,” so it doesn’t do damage. 🧠 The Reality: The explosion absolutely has somewhere to go — into your fingers, your medical bills, and your lifelong nickname, “Stumpy.” This is the same science used by people who once said, “I bet I can jump that creek,” and are now part-metal thanks to reconstructive surgery. Classic Red Flags of Bad Summer Advice: Begins with: “Trust me, I’ve done this ...

Minimalism sounded great until my cats claimed the donation box as a second home

So, I live in a super-small space with three cats, one mismatched coffee table set, and a growing suspicion that I am no longer in charge here.  Like any adult whose Pinterest boards are probably better organized than my actual life, I decided to "declutter." I imagined a sleek, tranquil space with clean lines, neutral tones, and no shame. I now sit atop a pile of half-sorted Goodwill bags, sipping coffee from a novelty mug that says “I Paused My Show for This.” Let’s discuss: Step 1: Mentally Prepare to Let Go of the Clutter — and Your Dignity Decluttering, in theory, is supposed to bring peace. In practice? It's a passive-aggressive negotiation with your past self. “Do I need six half-burned candles?” “What if I suddenly become the kind of person who hosts dinner parties and needs twelve fine water glasses?” “This broken garlic press has been with me since college. That means something, right?” At one point, I asked my cat BoBean if she thought I should ...