Skip to main content

Donnie G is on the back up!

Ever have one of those random moments when a single name or phrase sparks a memory you haven’t thought about in years? That happened to me earlier today. I was calling the local lumberyard, and the guy picked up and said, “Donnie here.” And just like that, my mind went straight to Marky Mark. You see, in his hit song “Good Vibrations,” Marky Mark famously shouts out “Donnie D!”—as in Donnie Wahlberg, his older brother, Funky Bunch member, and original New Kid on the Block. Hearing that little twist on the name was enough to send me into a full nostalgia spiral, reminiscing about how awesome Marky Mark really was.  But… it was actually Donnie G that answered the phone today.  Whatever!  Donnie G, D, C, XYZ!


Anyway… Marky Mark wasn’t just a star—he was a whole vibe. Remember that?!


First, let’s talk about Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch. In the early ‘90s, Mark Wahlberg wasn’t the Hollywood mogul we know today. He was Marky Mark, the shirtless, chain-wearing frontman of a group that gave us one of the most infectious songs of the era: “Good Vibrations.” That track wasn’t just a hit—it was an anthem. The beat, the energy, and Mark’s unapologetically Boston delivery were electric.  I’ve worked out to it in the gym I don’t know how many times!


And of course, there was the shoutout to “Donnie D,”(or G haha!) who got this whole conversation started, but actually produced the track itself. That callout was a perfect little nod to family and teamwork, proving that even as he was hyping up crowds, Marky Mark kept it all in the Wahlberg family.


What made Marky Mark stand out was his raw confidence. While other artists of the time were polished and safe, he was fearless, throwing himself fully into his music and persona. He didn’t care what anyone thought, and that kind of bold authenticity was contagious.  And the abs!


And speaking of abs…


While “Good Vibrations” dominated the airwaves, Marky Mark was busy dominating another realm: fashion. His Calvin Klein ads became just as iconic as his music. Those black-and-white shots of him, ripped and rocking nothing but underwear, turned him into a global phenomenon.


It wasn’t just about selling boxers; Marky Mark redefined the image of cool. He was raw, edgy, and undeniably magnetic. Suddenly, everyone wanted to be him—or be with him.


Sure, some people laughed at how over-the-top it was, but let’s be real: it worked. Those ads cemented him as a pop culture icon, giving him the swagger and visibility to move beyond the music scene.


What makes Marky Mark so awesome isn’t just what he did in the early ‘90s—it’s what he’s done since. Let’s face it: most musicians-turned-actors don’t have the greatest track record, right? But Mark Wahlberg? He crushed it! He went from rapping about “Good Vibrations” to starring in movies like Boogie Nights, The Departed, and The Fighter.


The best part? He never lost the charisma that made him a star in the first place. Whether he’s making you laugh in Ted or bringing the intensity in Lone Survivor, there’s always a little bit of that Marky Mark energy in his performances.


And he keeps delivering…



Marky Mark may be a thing of the past for many people, but for me, those days still resonate. He wasn’t just a performer—he was a symbol of fearless self-expression. He didn’t try to fit in or play by anyone else’s rules, and that’s what made him stand out.


Damn.  Now, I’m hungry for a Wahlburger!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lemonade Buffet That Changed My Life: I came for the fireworks, but I stayed for the tube ice and cherry syrup

This 4th of July, amid the usual chaos of overcooked hot dogs, screaming children, and one guy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette, something beautiful happened. Something simple. Something… citrusy. A Lemonade Buffet! Yes, a buffet. Of lemonade. And it wasn’t one of those Pinterest-y “lemonade bar” setups where everything is served in mason jars wrapped in twine while an unpaid intern hand-letters chalkboard signs in cursive. No. This was way better. This was practical. This was brilliant. This was America, in beverage form. The Setup: Lemonade, But Make It A "Custom" At first glance, it was just a folding table. Plastic, sturdy, unremarkable. But upon closer inspection? A beverage oasis: Three massive coolers : Classic lemonade, pink lemonade, and sparkling lemonade that fizzed just enough to remind you that freedom sparkles. A tray of ice options : Ice options , you guys! Regular cubes. Crushed ice. Nugget ice. TUBE ICE. (The Beyoncé of frozen water. ...

“If You Hold a Firecracker Tight Enough, It Won’t Hurt” — And Other Last Words from Local Geniuses

There are certain things you hear in life that make you pause — not because they’re profound, but because they vibrate at a frequency only detectable by bad decisions. Like when a guy named Merle , who smells faintly of lighter fluid and Busch Light, looks you dead in the eye and says: “If you hold a firecracker tight enough between your fingers, it won’t hurt.” And in that moment, you realize two things: Merle is very confident. Merle is not using all ten fingers. Let’s Break This Down 🔥 The Theory: Supposedly, if you hold the firecracker tight, the explosion has “nowhere to go,” so it doesn’t do damage. 🧠 The Reality: The explosion absolutely has somewhere to go — into your fingers, your medical bills, and your lifelong nickname, “Stumpy.” This is the same science used by people who once said, “I bet I can jump that creek,” and are now part-metal thanks to reconstructive surgery. Classic Red Flags of Bad Summer Advice: Begins with: “Trust me, I’ve done this ...

Minimalism sounded great until my cats claimed the donation box as a second home

So, I live in a super-small space with three cats, one mismatched coffee table set, and a growing suspicion that I am no longer in charge here.  Like any adult whose Pinterest boards are probably better organized than my actual life, I decided to "declutter." I imagined a sleek, tranquil space with clean lines, neutral tones, and no shame. I now sit atop a pile of half-sorted Goodwill bags, sipping coffee from a novelty mug that says “I Paused My Show for This.” Let’s discuss: Step 1: Mentally Prepare to Let Go of the Clutter — and Your Dignity Decluttering, in theory, is supposed to bring peace. In practice? It's a passive-aggressive negotiation with your past self. “Do I need six half-burned candles?” “What if I suddenly become the kind of person who hosts dinner parties and needs twelve fine water glasses?” “This broken garlic press has been with me since college. That means something, right?” At one point, I asked my cat BoBean if she thought I should ...