Skip to main content

Beetlejuice 2.0 sucks worse than the original

The announcement of a sequel to Beetlejuice sparked a mix of excitement and apprehension among fans of the original. While Tim Burton’s 1988 dark comedy remains a cult classic, and ai’m being very gracious here, the decision to revisit it decades later has left many wondering: why tamper with a film that was already a perfect balance of weird, wonderful, and self-contained? Or, perhaps more succinctly, how in world do expect to polish this turd? So, maybe in hindsight, it’s clear the sequel was not only unnecessary but also a misstep. Here’s why the creators should have left Beetlejuice alone and why the follow-up fails to capture the original’s magic, if it ever had any:

The charm of Beetlejuice lies in its sheer absurdity, anchored by Michael Keaton’s manic and mostly unforgettable performance as the titular ghost with the most. It was a unique product of its time, combining Burton’s quirky aesthetic with an offbeat script and an equally untalented Danny Elfman score. The movie didn’t need a sequel because it resolved its ownstory: the Deetzes and Maitlands made peace, and Beetlejuice got his karmic comeuppance. Revisiting it decades later feels forced, overly forced without Vaseline forced, as if the creators were cashing in on nostalgia rather than delivering something authentic.

Instead of breaking new ground, the sequel relies heavily on rehashing the original’s themes, characters, and style. It leans into nostalgia, attempting to recreate the charm of a bygone era without adding meaningful depth. Sequels like this often feel like hollow imitations, pandering to fans without offering anything fresh… And, they’re seemingly really cheap to make.

So, that’s about all I’m going to put into this review… because… the creators put in far less effort.  They put a turd on a plate and somehow expected people would think it was great???  Someone has done too many drugs!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lemonade Buffet That Changed My Life: I came for the fireworks, but I stayed for the tube ice and cherry syrup

This 4th of July, amid the usual chaos of overcooked hot dogs, screaming children, and one guy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette, something beautiful happened. Something simple. Something… citrusy. A Lemonade Buffet! Yes, a buffet. Of lemonade. And it wasn’t one of those Pinterest-y “lemonade bar” setups where everything is served in mason jars wrapped in twine while an unpaid intern hand-letters chalkboard signs in cursive. No. This was way better. This was practical. This was brilliant. This was America, in beverage form. The Setup: Lemonade, But Make It A "Custom" At first glance, it was just a folding table. Plastic, sturdy, unremarkable. But upon closer inspection? A beverage oasis: Three massive coolers : Classic lemonade, pink lemonade, and sparkling lemonade that fizzed just enough to remind you that freedom sparkles. A tray of ice options : Ice options , you guys! Regular cubes. Crushed ice. Nugget ice. TUBE ICE. (The Beyoncé of frozen water. ...

“If You Hold a Firecracker Tight Enough, It Won’t Hurt” — And Other Last Words from Local Geniuses

There are certain things you hear in life that make you pause — not because they’re profound, but because they vibrate at a frequency only detectable by bad decisions. Like when a guy named Merle , who smells faintly of lighter fluid and Busch Light, looks you dead in the eye and says: “If you hold a firecracker tight enough between your fingers, it won’t hurt.” And in that moment, you realize two things: Merle is very confident. Merle is not using all ten fingers. Let’s Break This Down 🔥 The Theory: Supposedly, if you hold the firecracker tight, the explosion has “nowhere to go,” so it doesn’t do damage. 🧠 The Reality: The explosion absolutely has somewhere to go — into your fingers, your medical bills, and your lifelong nickname, “Stumpy.” This is the same science used by people who once said, “I bet I can jump that creek,” and are now part-metal thanks to reconstructive surgery. Classic Red Flags of Bad Summer Advice: Begins with: “Trust me, I’ve done this ...

Minimalism sounded great until my cats claimed the donation box as a second home

So, I live in a super-small space with three cats, one mismatched coffee table set, and a growing suspicion that I am no longer in charge here.  Like any adult whose Pinterest boards are probably better organized than my actual life, I decided to "declutter." I imagined a sleek, tranquil space with clean lines, neutral tones, and no shame. I now sit atop a pile of half-sorted Goodwill bags, sipping coffee from a novelty mug that says “I Paused My Show for This.” Let’s discuss: Step 1: Mentally Prepare to Let Go of the Clutter — and Your Dignity Decluttering, in theory, is supposed to bring peace. In practice? It's a passive-aggressive negotiation with your past self. “Do I need six half-burned candles?” “What if I suddenly become the kind of person who hosts dinner parties and needs twelve fine water glasses?” “This broken garlic press has been with me since college. That means something, right?” At one point, I asked my cat BoBean if she thought I should ...