Skip to main content

DIY Crafts That Look Absolutely Nothing Like the Pinterest Version -- and That’s Okay

Let’s talk about the great lie: Pinterest perfection.

You know what I’m talking about—the DIY candle that looks like it was hand-poured by Martha Stewart herself online that turns into a hot wax mess in reality, the “easy” macramé wall hanging that somehow turns into a tangled octopus of shame, or the clay mug that ends up looking like it survived a medieval war.

I am here to say: it’s fine. Actually, it’s just beautiful.

Because DIY doesn’t stand for “Do It Yourself to impress the Internet.” It stands for “Disaster Is Yearly” and we love that for us.

Enter Exhibit A: The Clay Cat Planter That Now Haunts My Dreams

I followed all the steps. I shaped it. I painted it. I gave it whiskers. I also accidentally gave it four eyes and a tail that looks like a sad worm.

Pinterest version: whimsical and elegant.

My version: mildly possessed and definitely judgmental.

Still proudly sitting on my desk with a tiny succulent inside because guess what? She’s got character.

Exhibit B: The “No-Sew Pillow” That Somehow Required Surgery

They said “just fabric glue!”

I said, “okay!”

Fabric said, “I hate you.”

Now I have a lumpy square blob that oozes stuffing like it’s trying to escape this world.

But does it still prop up my head during Netflix marathons? YES. Function over fashion, people.

Exhibit C: The Candle That Looked Like a Snack

This was supposed to be a cute layered candle with essential oils and dried flowers.

Instead, it looked like melted birthday cake and smelled like someone spilled lavender in a Crayola factory.

Honestly? Not mad. 10/10 vibes. Would accidentally sniff again. 

Exhibit D: Oh heck, do I really need to list another example?!

Why Imperfect Crafts Are the Best Crafts

• They’re funny. Every time I look at my melted wax monstrosity, I laugh. That’s serotonin sitting right there.

• They’re yours. No one else in the universe has a glitter-lumpy pumpkin with googly eyes and one tooth. That’s exclusive art, baby!

• They’re made with effort and chaos and maybe a little bit of love. And that’s all that matters... love... am I wrong?

Pro Tip for Fellow Crafters of Chaos:

• Always use a washable surface.

• Embrace hot glue like it’s your chaotic soulmate.

• Take pictures of the “Pinterest vs. Reality” and laugh, not cry.

• Wear old clothes. Or, embrace the paint splatter as your new fashion statement.

And Some Final Thoughts from a Glitter-Covered Gremlin:

Crafting isn’t about being perfect. It’s about expressing yourself, even if your expression looks like it was made by a sleep-deprived raccoon with a glue gun.

So go forth! Make that ugly wreath. Paint the lopsided pumpkin. Knit the scarf with 47 accidental holes.  Because in this house, we celebrate ugly crafts.

And we also probably need more glue sticks too.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lemonade Buffet That Changed My Life: I came for the fireworks, but I stayed for the tube ice and cherry syrup

This 4th of July, amid the usual chaos of overcooked hot dogs, screaming children, and one guy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette, something beautiful happened. Something simple. Something… citrusy. A Lemonade Buffet! Yes, a buffet. Of lemonade. And it wasn’t one of those Pinterest-y “lemonade bar” setups where everything is served in mason jars wrapped in twine while an unpaid intern hand-letters chalkboard signs in cursive. No. This was way better. This was practical. This was brilliant. This was America, in beverage form. The Setup: Lemonade, But Make It A "Custom" At first glance, it was just a folding table. Plastic, sturdy, unremarkable. But upon closer inspection? A beverage oasis: Three massive coolers : Classic lemonade, pink lemonade, and sparkling lemonade that fizzed just enough to remind you that freedom sparkles. A tray of ice options : Ice options , you guys! Regular cubes. Crushed ice. Nugget ice. TUBE ICE. (The Beyoncé of frozen water. ...

“If You Hold a Firecracker Tight Enough, It Won’t Hurt” — And Other Last Words from Local Geniuses

There are certain things you hear in life that make you pause — not because they’re profound, but because they vibrate at a frequency only detectable by bad decisions. Like when a guy named Merle , who smells faintly of lighter fluid and Busch Light, looks you dead in the eye and says: “If you hold a firecracker tight enough between your fingers, it won’t hurt.” And in that moment, you realize two things: Merle is very confident. Merle is not using all ten fingers. Let’s Break This Down 🔥 The Theory: Supposedly, if you hold the firecracker tight, the explosion has “nowhere to go,” so it doesn’t do damage. 🧠 The Reality: The explosion absolutely has somewhere to go — into your fingers, your medical bills, and your lifelong nickname, “Stumpy.” This is the same science used by people who once said, “I bet I can jump that creek,” and are now part-metal thanks to reconstructive surgery. Classic Red Flags of Bad Summer Advice: Begins with: “Trust me, I’ve done this ...

Minimalism sounded great until my cats claimed the donation box as a second home

So, I live in a super-small space with three cats, one mismatched coffee table set, and a growing suspicion that I am no longer in charge here.  Like any adult whose Pinterest boards are probably better organized than my actual life, I decided to "declutter." I imagined a sleek, tranquil space with clean lines, neutral tones, and no shame. I now sit atop a pile of half-sorted Goodwill bags, sipping coffee from a novelty mug that says “I Paused My Show for This.” Let’s discuss: Step 1: Mentally Prepare to Let Go of the Clutter — and Your Dignity Decluttering, in theory, is supposed to bring peace. In practice? It's a passive-aggressive negotiation with your past self. “Do I need six half-burned candles?” “What if I suddenly become the kind of person who hosts dinner parties and needs twelve fine water glasses?” “This broken garlic press has been with me since college. That means something, right?” At one point, I asked my cat BoBean if she thought I should ...