Skip to main content

The One Time I Tried to Be a Morning Person and Accidentally Summoned a Demon — Me!

Some people are morning people, but I am not. I am the goblin that guards the realm of night owls. I gave 5 a.m. a chance, and it rejected me. And honestly? I’m okay with that. So, pass me the coffee -- at noon -- like nature intended.

Here is a diary of my week-long experiment:

Day 1: Ambition, Meet Reality

I set my alarm for 5:00 a.m., laid out my workout clothes, prepped a healthy breakfast, and fell asleep dreaming of being *That* Person—you know, the one who drinks green juice and radiates peace by 6 a.m.

Cut to me smacking my alarm like it insulted my entire bloodline, crawling out of bed like a resurrected Victorian child, and sitting in silence with one eye open, holding a banana like I forgot what food is.

Workout: Cancelled. Mood: Combative.

Did I meditate? No. I stared at my wall and thought about how dang early it was.

Day 2: I Don’t Know Who I Am Anymore

I tried sunrise stretching. Spoiler: I almost fell fully asleep on the floor and woke up angry. Also, I made a smoothie, but I forgot to put the lid on the blender. It looked like a fruit crime scene. There was strawberry on the ceiling. The ceiling!

By 8 a.m., I had accomplished nothing but chaos and a new level of stickiness that smells like -- strawberries.

Morning person? More like *mourning* person.  

Day 3: My Cat Judged Me and She Was Right

I sat on my bed in total silence at 5:10 a.m. eating dry cereal with no milk because I was too tired to open the fridge, and I recalled yesterday's incident; I knew pilled milk would start to smell post-accident. My cat watched me the entire time, blinking slowly like, “You good?”

No, oh great fury and whiskered one. I am not.

I also tried journaling. All I wrote was “why.” That was it. One word. Pure despair in cursive like I was in grade school writing on the chalkboard time-and-time-again for old-school punishment at recess.

Day 4: A Brief Glimpse of Hope

Okay, this morning I actually woke up with minimal internal screaming. I made tea, read a book for a while, and even stretched without making any weird creaking or popping noises.

For exactly 12 minutes, I felt like a functioning adult. Then I fell asleep in the shower. Standing up.

I woke up when the water went cold and screamed like I was in a horror movie.

So yeah, still a win… maybe sort of?

Day 5: Who Even Needs Sleep? (Me. The Answer is Me!)

I tried to do a productive morning routine from YouTube. The person in the video was glowing, sipping matcha, and journaling about gratitude.  It was nauseating.  So, I began aggressively making toast and screaming, “WHERE IS THE PEANUT BUTTER?!”

By 7 a.m., I had stress-cleaned my room, cried over an inspirational quote that I found tucked away, and then immediately took a 3-hour nap.

Day 6: The Morning Gremlin Emerges

My work family told me I looked “haunted.”

I answered emails at 5:30 a.m. and accidentally signed one, “Thanks, The Demon.”

Honestly, not even mad. Accurate.

Day 7: Acceptance

I woke up at 5 a.m., turned off the alarm, rolled over, and went back to sleep like a sane person.

All in all, I’ve learned a lot this week. Mainly, that I am not built for early mornings. I am a moon creature. I begin to thrive at 9 p.m. with snacks and chaotic energy—not sunrise meditations and chia pudding.  Yuck!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lemonade Buffet That Changed My Life: I came for the fireworks, but I stayed for the tube ice and cherry syrup

This 4th of July, amid the usual chaos of overcooked hot dogs, screaming children, and one guy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette, something beautiful happened. Something simple. Something… citrusy. A Lemonade Buffet! Yes, a buffet. Of lemonade. And it wasn’t one of those Pinterest-y “lemonade bar” setups where everything is served in mason jars wrapped in twine while an unpaid intern hand-letters chalkboard signs in cursive. No. This was way better. This was practical. This was brilliant. This was America, in beverage form. The Setup: Lemonade, But Make It A "Custom" At first glance, it was just a folding table. Plastic, sturdy, unremarkable. But upon closer inspection? A beverage oasis: Three massive coolers : Classic lemonade, pink lemonade, and sparkling lemonade that fizzed just enough to remind you that freedom sparkles. A tray of ice options : Ice options , you guys! Regular cubes. Crushed ice. Nugget ice. TUBE ICE. (The Beyoncé of frozen water. ...

“If You Hold a Firecracker Tight Enough, It Won’t Hurt” — And Other Last Words from Local Geniuses

There are certain things you hear in life that make you pause — not because they’re profound, but because they vibrate at a frequency only detectable by bad decisions. Like when a guy named Merle , who smells faintly of lighter fluid and Busch Light, looks you dead in the eye and says: “If you hold a firecracker tight enough between your fingers, it won’t hurt.” And in that moment, you realize two things: Merle is very confident. Merle is not using all ten fingers. Let’s Break This Down 🔥 The Theory: Supposedly, if you hold the firecracker tight, the explosion has “nowhere to go,” so it doesn’t do damage. 🧠 The Reality: The explosion absolutely has somewhere to go — into your fingers, your medical bills, and your lifelong nickname, “Stumpy.” This is the same science used by people who once said, “I bet I can jump that creek,” and are now part-metal thanks to reconstructive surgery. Classic Red Flags of Bad Summer Advice: Begins with: “Trust me, I’ve done this ...

Minimalism sounded great until my cats claimed the donation box as a second home

So, I live in a super-small space with three cats, one mismatched coffee table set, and a growing suspicion that I am no longer in charge here.  Like any adult whose Pinterest boards are probably better organized than my actual life, I decided to "declutter." I imagined a sleek, tranquil space with clean lines, neutral tones, and no shame. I now sit atop a pile of half-sorted Goodwill bags, sipping coffee from a novelty mug that says “I Paused My Show for This.” Let’s discuss: Step 1: Mentally Prepare to Let Go of the Clutter — and Your Dignity Decluttering, in theory, is supposed to bring peace. In practice? It's a passive-aggressive negotiation with your past self. “Do I need six half-burned candles?” “What if I suddenly become the kind of person who hosts dinner parties and needs twelve fine water glasses?” “This broken garlic press has been with me since college. That means something, right?” At one point, I asked my cat BoBean if she thought I should ...