Skip to main content

Timmy, My Little Friend

Friendship often comes from the most unexpected places. I never imagined I’d find a friend in Timmy, a little mouse who wandered into my life one quiet evening. What started as an ordinary encounter turned into a delightful connection that I’ll never forget.

It all began one chilly autumn night. I was sitting at my desk, working late, when I noticed a faint rustling sound near the corner of the room. At first, I thought it was just the wind brushing against the windows, but then I saw him—a tiny mouse with soft gray fur and bright, curious eyes.

He paused mid-step, as if he knew he’d been caught. For a moment, we stared at each other, unsure of what to do next. I could have shooed him away, but something about Timmy—yes, I named him Timmy right then—made me hesitate.

An Unlikely Connection: Timmy and I, that is!  Instead of scurrying off, Timmy slowly inched closer. I decided to test his bravery by offering him a small piece of the cracker I was eating. To my surprise, he cautiously approached, whiskers twitching, and took the crumb straight from my hand. That was the beginning of our unusual friendship.

Over the next few weeks, Timmy became a regular visitor. I’d often find him peeking out from under the bookshelf, waiting for his nightly snack. He seemed to enjoy company as much as the treats I left out for him—tiny bits of cheese, nuts, or bread.

What struck me most was his growing trust. Mice are naturally wary creatures, but Timmy didn’t seem afraid anymore. He’d climb onto my desk while I worked, sitting nearby as if he was keeping me company.

In those quiet moments, I realized how much we shared. We both appreciated the stillness of the night, the comfort of routine, and the value of companionship, no matter how unconventional it might be.

Timmy wasn’t just a mouse; he was a teacher in disguise… and my friend. He reminded me to slow down and notice the small joys in life—like the way his tiny paws would carefully hold a crumb or how his ears perked up at the sound of my voice.

He also taught me about trust. It’s not something that comes about everyday… I mean, small woodland creatures teaching you about life.  But there he was.

Anyway, there will be more about Timmy later… just wanted to introduce my friend to you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lemonade Buffet That Changed My Life: I came for the fireworks, but I stayed for the tube ice and cherry syrup

This 4th of July, amid the usual chaos of overcooked hot dogs, screaming children, and one guy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette, something beautiful happened. Something simple. Something… citrusy. A Lemonade Buffet! Yes, a buffet. Of lemonade. And it wasn’t one of those Pinterest-y “lemonade bar” setups where everything is served in mason jars wrapped in twine while an unpaid intern hand-letters chalkboard signs in cursive. No. This was way better. This was practical. This was brilliant. This was America, in beverage form. The Setup: Lemonade, But Make It A "Custom" At first glance, it was just a folding table. Plastic, sturdy, unremarkable. But upon closer inspection? A beverage oasis: Three massive coolers : Classic lemonade, pink lemonade, and sparkling lemonade that fizzed just enough to remind you that freedom sparkles. A tray of ice options : Ice options , you guys! Regular cubes. Crushed ice. Nugget ice. TUBE ICE. (The Beyoncé of frozen water. ...

“If You Hold a Firecracker Tight Enough, It Won’t Hurt” — And Other Last Words from Local Geniuses

There are certain things you hear in life that make you pause — not because they’re profound, but because they vibrate at a frequency only detectable by bad decisions. Like when a guy named Merle , who smells faintly of lighter fluid and Busch Light, looks you dead in the eye and says: “If you hold a firecracker tight enough between your fingers, it won’t hurt.” And in that moment, you realize two things: Merle is very confident. Merle is not using all ten fingers. Let’s Break This Down 🔥 The Theory: Supposedly, if you hold the firecracker tight, the explosion has “nowhere to go,” so it doesn’t do damage. 🧠 The Reality: The explosion absolutely has somewhere to go — into your fingers, your medical bills, and your lifelong nickname, “Stumpy.” This is the same science used by people who once said, “I bet I can jump that creek,” and are now part-metal thanks to reconstructive surgery. Classic Red Flags of Bad Summer Advice: Begins with: “Trust me, I’ve done this ...

Minimalism sounded great until my cats claimed the donation box as a second home

So, I live in a super-small space with three cats, one mismatched coffee table set, and a growing suspicion that I am no longer in charge here.  Like any adult whose Pinterest boards are probably better organized than my actual life, I decided to "declutter." I imagined a sleek, tranquil space with clean lines, neutral tones, and no shame. I now sit atop a pile of half-sorted Goodwill bags, sipping coffee from a novelty mug that says “I Paused My Show for This.” Let’s discuss: Step 1: Mentally Prepare to Let Go of the Clutter — and Your Dignity Decluttering, in theory, is supposed to bring peace. In practice? It's a passive-aggressive negotiation with your past self. “Do I need six half-burned candles?” “What if I suddenly become the kind of person who hosts dinner parties and needs twelve fine water glasses?” “This broken garlic press has been with me since college. That means something, right?” At one point, I asked my cat BoBean if she thought I should ...