Skip to main content

Fred, the Rainbow That Stole My Heart

Let’s face it…. Rainbows are fleeting wonders born from just the right mix of sunlight and rain. They stretch across the sky as if nature herself is painting in real time, leaving us in awe of their beauty. Over the years, I’ve seen countless rainbows, each unique and special in its own way. But there’s one rainbow that stands out above the rest—a rainbow I named Fred.

Fred wasn’t just a rainbow to me. Fred was a memory, a moment frozen in time, and a reminder of the magic that exists in just the ordinary.

On the day Fred and I met, it was one of those days where the weather couldn’t quite make up its mind. Oh, of course, Indiana!  A steady drizzle had been falling all afternoon, but every now and then, the clouds would break just enough to let a few rays of sunlight peek through. I was on a walk, lost in thought, when I turned a corner and saw it.  Fred was full frontal in his glory!

Fred was a full, vibrant arc stretching from one end of the horizon to the other. But what made him special wasn’t just his size or intensity; it was the way he seemed to glow. The colors were richer, bolder than any rainbow I’d ever seen. It felt like Fred wasn’t just there by chance—he was there for me.  And only me!

But why Fred, right? I don’t know why I named the rainbow Fred. Maybe it’s because Fred sounds like the name of a dependable friend—someone who shows up when you need them most. That’s exactly what this rainbow felt like: a friend who appeared out of nowhere to lift my spirits.

Fred didn’t just hover in the sky. He radiated warmth, as if to say, “Hey, don’t take life too seriously. Even in the rain, there’s beauty.”

Like most men, Fred didn’t last long, of course. Rainbows never do. But his brief visit left a lasting impression. He reminded me to slow down and savor the small, magical moments that life offers—moments we might otherwise overlook in the hustle and bustle of daily life.

Since meeting Fred, I’ve noticed a new part of me… new and alive!  C’mon, let’s go dance in the rain!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Lemonade Buffet That Changed My Life: I came for the fireworks, but I stayed for the tube ice and cherry syrup

This 4th of July, amid the usual chaos of overcooked hot dogs, screaming children, and one guy lighting bottle rockets with a cigarette, something beautiful happened. Something simple. Something… citrusy. A Lemonade Buffet! Yes, a buffet. Of lemonade. And it wasn’t one of those Pinterest-y “lemonade bar” setups where everything is served in mason jars wrapped in twine while an unpaid intern hand-letters chalkboard signs in cursive. No. This was way better. This was practical. This was brilliant. This was America, in beverage form. The Setup: Lemonade, But Make It A "Custom" At first glance, it was just a folding table. Plastic, sturdy, unremarkable. But upon closer inspection? A beverage oasis: Three massive coolers : Classic lemonade, pink lemonade, and sparkling lemonade that fizzed just enough to remind you that freedom sparkles. A tray of ice options : Ice options , you guys! Regular cubes. Crushed ice. Nugget ice. TUBE ICE. (The Beyoncé of frozen water. ...

“If You Hold a Firecracker Tight Enough, It Won’t Hurt” — And Other Last Words from Local Geniuses

There are certain things you hear in life that make you pause — not because they’re profound, but because they vibrate at a frequency only detectable by bad decisions. Like when a guy named Merle , who smells faintly of lighter fluid and Busch Light, looks you dead in the eye and says: “If you hold a firecracker tight enough between your fingers, it won’t hurt.” And in that moment, you realize two things: Merle is very confident. Merle is not using all ten fingers. Let’s Break This Down 🔥 The Theory: Supposedly, if you hold the firecracker tight, the explosion has “nowhere to go,” so it doesn’t do damage. 🧠 The Reality: The explosion absolutely has somewhere to go — into your fingers, your medical bills, and your lifelong nickname, “Stumpy.” This is the same science used by people who once said, “I bet I can jump that creek,” and are now part-metal thanks to reconstructive surgery. Classic Red Flags of Bad Summer Advice: Begins with: “Trust me, I’ve done this ...

Minimalism sounded great until my cats claimed the donation box as a second home

So, I live in a super-small space with three cats, one mismatched coffee table set, and a growing suspicion that I am no longer in charge here.  Like any adult whose Pinterest boards are probably better organized than my actual life, I decided to "declutter." I imagined a sleek, tranquil space with clean lines, neutral tones, and no shame. I now sit atop a pile of half-sorted Goodwill bags, sipping coffee from a novelty mug that says “I Paused My Show for This.” Let’s discuss: Step 1: Mentally Prepare to Let Go of the Clutter — and Your Dignity Decluttering, in theory, is supposed to bring peace. In practice? It's a passive-aggressive negotiation with your past self. “Do I need six half-burned candles?” “What if I suddenly become the kind of person who hosts dinner parties and needs twelve fine water glasses?” “This broken garlic press has been with me since college. That means something, right?” At one point, I asked my cat BoBean if she thought I should ...